The 80:20 rule in business states that 80% of your outcomes come from 20% of your efforts. In other words, 80% of your sales come from 20% of your customers. However, the 80:20 rule differs for social media marketing.

Social media is a means of communication and connection that requires a unique 80:20 rule: 80% of a brand’s social media posts must be non-promotional, while the remaining 20% should be about your business.

Applying the 80:20 rule to social media marketing

Before utilizing the social media 80:20 rule, it is essential to understand that while marketing is about promoting and selling your product/service, social media marketing is not. Your brand’s posts should emphasize the connective nature of social media while providing outside value. Consider this: would you want to follow a brand that only sells-sells-sells and talks about themselves?

The purpose of social media as a marketing platform is to create genuine relationships with your customers and prospects by sharing relevant, reliable content. This can range from sharing posts from neighboring businesses to showcasing your company in the community. This strategy amplifies when companies generate posts pertinent to their product/industry that add value and tie into the daily lives of their consumers. When brands humanize their presence, consumers gain trust in the brand and grow into advocates who like, follow, and share – eventually resulting in sales (directly or indirectly).

Implement the social media 80:20 rule

Know your brand presence & your audience, and post content that is resharable – give a fresh recipe, fun tips, etc.

For your 80%

  • Give value
  • Share reputable sources that are well-written
  • Be personable
  • Showcase neighboring businesses
  • Be active in the community
  • Show yourself as an informed industry leader and a resource

For your 20%

  • Tell your customers who you are, what you do, and what you can offer
  • Direct prospects to your website and sales (CTA): give offers, sign-up here, join our newsletters

For your 100%

Always show your corporate culture. As social media grows as a dominant form of communication, regardless of if you’re hiring in a competitive market or not, it becomes the most valuable tool in finding the right people for your team.

Need help getting out of your brand bubble? Contact GROWL today.


Don’t forget to share!